Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"A day to remember, A Hero was born" Part One

An Ambassador of Goodwill
A big heart, God's Child, a dearest daughter, a sweet wife, a loving mother, caring sister, a dedicated and sincere person. 
When I hear my ex-husband asked “Can you get me a pair of new white shoes pls , here is a thousand”. It was used for the motif of my dear sister-in-law’s  funeral on that day. First thing that came to my mind is Ate Edna. Something inside me that pinches my heart, I remember Ate Edna.  At the Adjacent side of the room I felt her presence and the presssure of those heartbreaking word. No one can ever give him another pair of shoes. Though its been long time since we last separated from her half-brother  and from the family the ties remains I was the sole witness of her love to the people and her family. The love and dedication she have is never said to be taken for granted. How she runs out for someone inside the family who got a simple case like flu is the same concern she had for her patients. One time when she woke up and just got out of the room she used to greet us how are we and if we have eaten already then after knowing about another health  case inside the family she did not bother herself getting a breakfast first before entertaining she immediately run towards us and sit and listen and consulted then run back to her room (as if she was in the emergency room in a hospital) to get medicines inorder for me to take the meds. Eversince I see this woman I see an angel. I can't take my eyes off her she is like having a charisma that comforts people, that makes us attend to her and listen. Again tears was squeezed out from my heart, tears that tells how we will miss her”. I am just a sister-in-law but to her she considered me a real sister just like she considers every person who consulted for her help a part of the family. That she wanted to save.
Yes, Eddie Morgan is right when he said “ You could never replace her”. He was her patient for 10 years said “ she saved me twice”, once when she treated him after a near over-dose in prescription pills and again when his appendix raptured. He said “ I can’t think of another doctor to replace her. “You could never replace her”. “Dra. Edna Almaden Makabenta” A popular  Filipino- American Medical practitioner well-loved by the community, her patients, family and friends. She was 49 years old a good wife and doting mother of three, whose life was inanely ended at the prime of her life and peak of her career. She was the doctor who's life ended on the spot in her examination room in her office Monday 12th of January in Las Vegas Nevada. Before it happened she kept on saying “I will go home in January” that’s why everytime I went to my father-in-law to visit and asked permission to go home he always  clarifies it again ” Where are you going home?” though he knows where I am living. I answered  “ at home” then he will insist again to asked “where?” with a voice that needs clarification. I was trying to grab something  then finally I answer” I will be going home to Lapaz”. By then he said with a contented heart hearing it” That’s what I want to hear you have to clarify what home you are talking about”.  On the late afternoon 12th of January a man whom I usually see inside the family occasions came and knock on my door  telling me “Tatay asked me to come and tell you Ate Edna is dead”. I couldn’t understand that but I know what ‘dead’ means. I was speechless for a moment. The only thing that comes out from my mouth is “Why” then  I started crying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment